Huawei CurbPON Solution
Background of birth
The CurbPON solution aims at the traditional copper line inventory market. During FTTH construction, how can the existing FTTC outdoor sites and upstream optical cables be reused to reduce or avoid optical cable laying at the feeder section, reduce FTTH construction costs, and accelerate FTTH construction? to achieve optimal TCO, TTM, and ROI.
In the traditional copper line market, how to reuse existing copper line site resources on the live network? (site location, remaining cabinet space, uplink optical fiber, and power supply) To reduce civil engineering work such as trenching and buried cables caused by optical cable laying, it has become a research topic to accelerate FTTH construction.
In SingleFAN V100R020C00, Huawei launched the CurbPON solution for the first time, which is also called the "site optical output" solution or "optical-copper co-site" solution.
What is CurbPON?
CurbPON is a solution that reuses existing sites, optical cables, and power resources on the live network to quickly deploy new devices and increase network bandwidth. It has two application modes: original site upgrade and OLT@outdoor site. With this solution, the bandwidth can be increased to 1 Gbit/s or higher.
- Original site upgrade: Deploy new MDUs at the original copper site to increase the copper cable bandwidth. Use NCE to efficiently manage the network to increase the bandwidth to 300 Mbit/s.
- OLT@outdoor site: Add an OLT to the original copper site and use the OLT+MPO+DQ ODN+NCE suite to quickly increase the bandwidth to 1 Gbit/s or higher.
Highlights of CurbPON
- Short construction period: Sites are reused and new sites are not required, shortening the construction period.
- Low construction cost: Copper wires are reused, and cables do not need to be buried in trenches, reducing construction costs.
- Easy planning and evaluation: Quick analysis and planning can be performed based on the network usage of existing sites.
- High O&M efficiency: NCE simplifies network O&M.
Original Site Upgrade
When the original site is upgraded, a new mini-MDU is deployed at the original copper site to improve the copper line bandwidth. NCE is used to manage the network and improve the performance of the existing FTTC network. Vectoring and SuperVector technologies greatly increase the copper line rate to 300 Mbit/s, meeting high-bandwidth access requirements in FTTB and FTTC scenarios.
In practice, different regions and user groups have different bandwidth requirements. If the required bandwidth is lower than 300 Mbit/s, upgrade the original site is an ideal choice.
Original Site Upgrade networking topo:
In OLT@outdoor site mode, add an OLT to the original copper site and use the OLT+MPO+DQ ODN+NCE suite to quickly increase bandwidth.
The OLT@outdoor site supports two deployment modes:
- If the original copper line cabinet has sufficient space, the OLT and MPO are directly installed in the cabinet, and the DQ ODN is used to connect optical fibers in the downstream direction.
- If the original copper line cabinet is full, install a side-mounted cabinet outside the original cabinet to house the OLT and MPO. In the downstream direction, use the DQ ODN to connect optical fibers.
For areas with high bandwidth requirements, the OLT@outdoor site mode can be used to construct an all-optical network and increase the bandwidth to more than 1 Gbit/s.
OLT@outdoor site networking topo:
2. Fast network construction
3. Intelligent O&M